Project Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Project Roleplay

A forum where good RP is born

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Nascent Form

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kitsune

Kitsune

Character sheet
Test RPG:

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 2:14 am

A history forgotten... A legend hidden... A secret uncovered by time...

All parts of some popular fantasy novels available in the library! But the real world doesn't work like that. There's no magic or monsters, and nothing far from the ordinary happens anywhere. Or so anyone thought. The world has seen its first "monster" in ages, but is it real or just a rumor? For most students at Marionette University, it's not even a headline. The campus has enough going on to match a small city, and many students don't even look at the outside world during the semesters. A diverse student body with many majors, the college has everything most students look for. And soon, several students will discover the truth first-hand.

In this, everyone will be taking the place of a college student unknowingly about to transform into a "monster" from legends. I plan to use the diceroller to have the change into a "monster" be completely random and outside of anyone's control. I'll put more info up based on what the rest of you want to know first, and based on who's interested.
Back to top Go down
Leo Ambermane

Leo Ambermane

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Me!
Back to top Go down
Leo Ambermane

Leo Ambermane

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Any format you wish for us to post characters?  Like descriptions and stuff or do you rather have that in the first couple of posts in the forum?
Back to top Go down
Kitsune

Kitsune

Character sheet
Test RPG:

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 8:56 pm

Characters I'm still working out a format for presenting in. No point in getting that far if nobody else shows interest or curiosity in it
Back to top Go down
Comixtheinsane

Comixtheinsane

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 4:32 pm

hmmm i like this idea. quite a lot actually. one question would there be a limit onthe monster transformation or would each possible roll number be a different one? also if people roll the same do they reroll or both be the same monster?
Back to top Go down
Kitsune

Kitsune

Character sheet
Test RPG:

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 1:08 am

That would be up to the player. If you want it to be random, you are welcome to. But you're also allowed to pick a "monster" to be. So if you want your architect student to turn into a gargoyle when the timer ticks up, then you just need to say so when the character presentation comes around.

As for limits, I don't have many rules for it. You can be something you can hide with a lot of effort, or you can be something that would have to hide in a basement. Just as long as you're more different from human than Klingon or Vulcan, I have no problems. I will review the sheets and monster choices (or list) before the RP starts, so I'll ask about anything I'm concerned about then. I'd rather work with the people involved than refuse what people want.
Back to top Go down
Comixtheinsane

Comixtheinsane

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 1:19 am

hmm ok do you have a preconceived list of monsters you'd like us to pick from or do we just get to pick but have to check with you first? also this would be a college setting would it be something like say Rosario + Vampire where everyone is a monster but the rule is that they have to hide their true forms or is this a living among humans and don't wanna be attacked with pitch forks and torches type of thing?
Back to top Go down
Kitsune

Kitsune

Character sheet
Test RPG:

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 2:42 am

The monsters "don't exist". At all. For all intents and purposes, the world is "identical" to our own. Nobody knows about the monsters because they just don't exist at all, until we start changing into monsters. So nobody who changes knows they are one, because nobody in their family ever was (throughout the recognized recorded history). Part of the point will be trying to find a way to either live among humans or hide from humans without being run out of town by "pitchforks and torches". (Though considering it's modern-day, it'd be sniper rifles and shotguns. And you're just as likely to be abducted by the government and tied to an operating table in a facility that doesn't exist so scientists with no morals can find out what makes you tick.)

As for any "list", as long as it's sufficiently non-human, I'm good with it. I considered a list, but figured it'd be too much of a hassle. Just as long as a sober person in good lighting that doesn't need glasses can tell at a glance you aren't human, fine. Exceptions might be allowed if they're clever or make use of deception of some kind, but I don't want people to just change into something and then pretend they're still human without trouble. But there's still a lot of options that would be "easy" to hide. Satyr or Merfolk would be acceptable, though "dwarf" or "elf" will be shot down without question. I won't deny anything with natural shape-shifting, but that talent wouldn't be available until much later, in order to allow proper "panic time" for the character to adjust.

And I'd rather nothing like vampires that have a mandatory no-exception list of "edible" that only includes "human". You have to be able to keep going without needing to abduct and/or kill the rest of the student body. Having to re-think what you eat, such as a vegetarian that turns into a wolf-man and can only digest meat after the change, is fine. But this isn't a tragedy, no matter what the racist, sexist bible-thumper who turned into harpy thinks. So while personal character drama and over-reacting is allowed (and very much approved Out-Of-Character), be ready for other characters who are able to take it better to slap you silly for whining so much.
Back to top Go down
Comixtheinsane

Comixtheinsane

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 1:09 am

ooooooooo that is a very interesting part of the plot. so those who rp will be the first of the mythos. stories made real as it were. nice. well i only have one other thing to nit pick and this is for everyone. what if people pick the same monster? will both be the same monster or will whoever picked/posted it first get dibs? i personally have about 3 or 4 monster ideas so changing wouldn't bother me. yeti'm not sure how others would feel.
Back to top Go down
Kitsune

Kitsune

Character sheet
Test RPG:

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 2:21 am

I don't have a problem with more than one person being the same monster. Everyone ending up the same monster could be interesting, but some people might prefer to be something different. Monster uniqueness I'd leave up to the players entirely.
Back to top Go down
SaintLorok
Admin
SaintLorok

Character sheet
Test RPG:

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 7:01 pm

is the transformation permanent? If not how often will it happen.
Back to top Go down
https://projectroleplay.rpg-board.net
Kitsune

Kitsune

Character sheet
Test RPG:

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 10:37 pm

... Why did you have to ask a question I didn't prepare an answer for?

Seriously though, I hadn't decided. Both have an interest to them, and either could be interesting. If it's one-way, it becomes a game of trying to keep up with classes without getting caught and finding "friends" who can help us sneak around. That was my first thought with it, but that doesn't exactly leave much for "casual" interactions after the change. Forces a drastic change without promise of any sort of "return to normalcy".

Changing back and forth has the same issue as being a shapeshifter-monster or something practically human like Elf. Delusion and denial would be common if it's not done "right" for the character. We would be able to keep using the dice roller in this instance, to keep the changes "random" and "wild". But overall, this wasn't a part I had a planned answer for. Most fair way to do it would be to hear opinions on everyone who will be playing, I believe.
Back to top Go down
Comixtheinsane

Comixtheinsane

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 12:30 am

both have merit honestly. though permanent transformations would be more difficult if not near to impossible with some monsters like say a centaur or minotaur which were two of my monster thoughts. random transformations like in most anime/manga would add a constant comedy factor like our characters having to come up with excuses to leave or for being late because of transformations. though that poses another question would our characters feel the change coming on or would it just happen? and later in the rp would there be control if we go with random?
Back to top Go down
Kitsune

Kitsune

Character sheet
Test RPG:

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 1:14 am

If changes come and go, control is inevitable. Eventually we'd learn control, though that would be something that I'd say would be a long ways away. As for "feeling" it come on, some might learn faster than others. Again, not something you'd get "right away". Any kind of "control" would be slow and something I'd want to see in RPs, with the appropriate mishaps associated.
Back to top Go down
Comixtheinsane

Comixtheinsane

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 10:31 pm

hmm ok what of strengths and abilities? would we get to pick them? or would you want to set rules on them? say i made a gorgon/medusa could i have her have the ability to talk to snakes in either form or would she only have the ability in monster form? or would you not allow something like that? Could our characters automatically gain the ability to speak the language of the area/country/continent that their monster form's mythos or story takes place?
Back to top Go down
Kitsune

Kitsune

Character sheet
Test RPG:

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 4:17 pm

Strengths and abilities... Superpowers... Honestly? That didn't cross my mind. Again, could be something added in "later" to keep the feel going that it's "progressing" slowly. So any kind of power would be after even learning to control the changes. Very long-term, unless you actively try voodoo or witchcraft to figure things out. Then we'd probably play by ear on how well it works and what happens as a result.

Languages are languages. No learning by magic, but that doesn't mean you won't start learning some faster than others. With your gorgon example, you wouldn't just know how to talk to snakes. Your "hair" might insist on teaching you, though. And until you learn, since the snake-hair is a part of you, you could get some "intuitive" translations from it.

When and how the abilities can be used would be figured out based on the ability. But there would be some things associated with the change itself. Nothing excessive, but most "monsters" tend to be stronger or faster than they look, or they might heal faster. Allergies to non-standard substances are options for "special" vulnerabilities too, to keep things fair and interesting. Another thing that can be discussed about the characters themselves, individually or right here.
Back to top Go down
Leo Ambermane

Leo Ambermane

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Well I am interested in posting a possible character...are we waiting for more people or...?
Back to top Go down
Kitsune

Kitsune

Character sheet
Test RPG:

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 8:59 pm

I was stalling a bit to see if anyone had some more questions, test interest a bit more, and because I have a nasty habit of procrastinating. But since people have asked for the sheet, I'll get on that. ... As soon as I figure out how I want the information presented, and the major important stuff. So, hopefully by week's end.

Or New Year's. I'm not sure yet. Hopefully not New Year's, though.
Back to top Go down
Comixtheinsane

Comixtheinsane

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 12:07 am

well here's a tiny question about character bios are we posting them here or when we start the rp?
Back to top Go down
Kitsune

Kitsune

Character sheet
Test RPG:

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 9:48 pm

Character bios will be posted here. I want to be able to look them over and make sure there's nothing exceptionally "wrong" that I can find with it. Biggest thing I'll probably look at is monster choice, but I will make sure nobody's trying to make a Mary Sue
Back to top Go down
Leo Ambermane

Leo Ambermane

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 11:29 pm

A Mary Sue?  What on Scar's fuzzy left nipple is that?
Back to top Go down
Comixtheinsane

Comixtheinsane

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 11:42 pm

a mary sue is put simply an unrealistic character often a form of self insertion. they are usually a form of wish fufilment and are overpowered. a god character is considered a mary sue last i checked. they are by far the worst form of character creation.
Back to top Go down
Kitsune

Kitsune

Character sheet
Test RPG:

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Alright, so here's how I want the character proposals done. It can be a lot of detail in each spot, or just a couple sentence fragments. However you want to organize it is up to you, just as long as you can follow it and explain it if I have questions.

Name:
Degree/Job: (Main setting is college campus, so pick appropriately)
Appearance: (weight, height, eye color, hair color, hair length, skin color, notable features, etc)
Backstory: (can be general or specific. How long been at school, where from, , etc.)
Interests:
Monster: (Details and general info for monster, including boons/banes)
Back to top Go down
Leo Ambermane

Leo Ambermane

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Name: Michael Roarke
Degree/Job: Digital Forensics/IT
Appearance: 250lbs, hazel (green/blue eyes), glasses, scar on left eyebrow, 5'10", caucasion with auburn hair, well built with larger middle ^^;;
Backstory: From Cleveland, OH, and have been in college for 5 years.  Finished one degree (Associates of Applied Science, Police Science with Honors), past Student Senate Vice President (Student Counsel basically) and has volunteered at many different places.  An introvert that has become more extraverted through a lot of rough times, especially from the economy as his family is not on the well off side of things.
Dislikes: Drugs or alcohol (gag reflex doesn't handle them), arguements or Napoleon complexes
Interests: Computer games, D&D, Law and helping out others.
Monster: Simolion Zoanthrope, about 7ft tall, extremely built, about 650 lbs with Tawny-brown fur, green cat-like eyes, and razor sharp claws.  Able to use increased senses and scale buildings with claws, though the larger fangs and instincts tends to work against him.  Fur is thick for colder climates and gets overheated easily.

Pic for reference: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/11507775/

Last edited by Leo Ambermane on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Comixtheinsane

Comixtheinsane

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 8:53 pm

Name: Rachel Stone
Degree/Job: Majoring in Creative Writing. Has a bachelor's in english already but continuing education.
Appearance: 127lbs, 5'6", hazel(but shift with mood), black with red highlights, bewteen shoulders, pale, freckles(tons kind of a sore spot), curvy but average.
Backstory: it's her fifth year. she's going to college for writing after the book she self published after highschool fell flat and one reviewer said that it lacked a learned writer's ability. she's not really from anywhere specific her family has been military for years so lots of moving. because of this she uses writing to express herself cause she doesn't do well with people. has a pet snake that she tells everything to.
Likes: snakes,books,knowledge, myths, legends, fables, music.
Dislikes: most people, carrots, corn, liver, heights, spiders. 
Interests:likes to read and play chess. bit of a gamer though she doesn't broadcast it. plays games for story not style. 
Monster: Gorgon: A snakelike female creature with a head full of serpents instead of hair. Boons: parsletongue, 360 degree vision(disorienting at first), scaled body giving enhanced defense, strength, poison fangs, poison resistant, petrifies with snake hair, healing blood, retractable claws, can see heat, later water manipulation. Banes: can't take cold, hair is hard to control, could petrify self if not careful.   
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nascent Form Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nascent Form   Nascent Form Empty

Back to top Go down

Nascent Form
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Project Roleplay :: Roleplay :: Discussion Forum-
Jump to: